Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

What support can I get?


Defence and armed forces: Visit​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window​ for information on support services for military and defence personnel and their families.

Armed forces charities offer a range of support services. For an overview of organisations that may be able to support you - How to find support - Armed Forces Charities​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window

In signing up to the Armed Forces Community Covenant, the City of Cardiff Council will work to ensure that Service Men and Women, Veterans and their families are not disadvantaged by serving their country. 

Community hubs​ offers specialist advice for Veterans/Armed Forces and their families. We can help with:

  • ​Employment 
  • Benefits 
  • Debt 
  • Housing, and 
  • much more. 

Please contact the veteran specialist for more information on 029 2087 1071 or 07980 953539 or email​.

If you need help returning to work after serving in the armed forces, there are a range of service providers who can offer the right support in finding you employment or helping you gain the right skills and training.

Royal British Legion​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - Provides exceptional support to return to civilian life, re-trains, and secures a new vocation and more.

Careers Wales​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - If you want to get back into work, training or education, this is your first stop! It can help you with careers advice, pathways into your dream vocation and more. 

Into Work Team - The Into Work Service provides free informal drop-in sessions in locations across Cardiff for residents looking for work or to upskill their current jobs. They can help with CV writing, work skills training, job applications forms, interview techniques and covering letters, Job search, setting up a universal job match account and access to computer facilities.

Adult Learning - The Adult Community Learning Service offer a range of flexible learning opportunities that are designed to support individuals to take their first steps back into learning and to assist them to progress to further learning, training or employment. 

Jobcentre Plus​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window- Your local job centre will also be able to signpost you to training and advice so you can secure qualifications and a step towards your new vocation. 

Below is a list of specialist employment agencies for ex-armed forces personnel and local agencies within Cardiff.

When servicemen and women leave the armed forces, their healthcare is the responsibility of the NHS. 

All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition as long as it's related to their service, regardless of whether or not they receive a war pension. The process is explained in Guidance for the referral of Armed Forces Veterans​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window.

All people leaving the armed forces are given a summary of their medical records, which they are advised to give to their new GP when they register. 

If you no longer have a copy of the summary of your health record you can apply for one via the Requests for personal data and service recordspage on GOV.UK.​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window

Veterans are encouraged to tell their GP about their veteran status in order to benefit from priority treatment.

If you're moving to a new location in Wales or returning from a posting abroad you need to make sure you register with a GP.

View details of GP surgeries and other health services​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window within your area.

You shouldn’t be disadvantaged from accessing appropriate health services so it's important you notify your current GP that you are moving particularly if you're on a waiting list for medical treatment so that this information can be transferred across. It is also important to notify your new GP of the situation.

Children of UK service personnel (UK Armed Forces) or other Crown Servants will be treated as resident at a future address if their application is accompanied by an official Ministry of Defence (MOD) or Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) letter declaring a definite address occupation date and confirmation of the new home or unit postal address.

Applications for children of former UK service personnel or other former Crown Servants will be treated as all other applications. Where applications outside of the normal for Children of UK service personnel or other Crown Servants are unsuccessful, parents may appeal against this decision and any appeal hearing convened would be heard as a normal prejudice appeal. 

Apply for a school placement.

Maindy Centre​​​​​​​D​olen allanol yn agor mewn ffenest newydd ​facilitates operates an Armed Forces Free Swimming Scheme(AFFS) which gives access for all ‘adult recreational swimming’ as timetabled at Maindy Pool Only

  • AFFS applies only to: Veterans and Armed Forces Personnel on leave and who reside in Wales
  • AFFS scheme DOES NOT apply to spouses/partners, family members or friends
  • Veterans over the age of 60 will automatically qualify for the 60+ FSI scheme
  • Veterans and Armed Forces Personnel MUST hold valid MOD Defence Privilege Card​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window
  • An ‘Active Cardiff Course Card’ will be issued on production of the ‘MOD Defence Privilege Card’ and completion of the Councils’ AFFS application form.
  • All AFFS application forms to be sent to the Active Office for processing
  • Only Active Cardiff Course Cards can be used in Cardiff, cards or memberships from other Welsh Authorities are not valid, a new application form will need to be completed.
  • A replacement course card will charged at £3.00
This service makes accessing support much easier for veterans. With many organisations supporting the Armed Forces community, Veterans’ Gateway aims to be the first point of contact for veterans and their families who need support.

Through a consortium of organisations including The Royal British Legion, Veterans’ Gateway makes finding the right support quicker and easier – no matter where you are or what you need.

The Veterans Gateway will be the first point of contact for veterans and their families to connect with the help, advice and support they need from a network of organisations.

A team of advisors will assess people at this first point of contact, ensuring they are quickly referred to the organisation that is best placed to support them, such as The Royal British Legion.

The team of advisors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and many are veterans themselves. Speak to an advisor in the Gateway contact centre

Call 0808 802 1212
Veterans’ Gateway also has an extensive Self Help service, allowing veterans to search for help and advice independently on a range of issues such as housing, employment and finances.
Visit the Veterans' Gateway website​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window ​ 

The Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children, Carl Sargeant AM launched the Welsh Government’s Housing Referral Pathway at Ty Dewr, Wrexham. The Pathway aims to help Service personnel and their families make an informed choice of their accommodation options on return to civilian life.

National housing pathway for veterans of the Armed Forces​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window​​

Please visit the Welsh Government’s website to access the Pathway. ​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window

Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children, Carl Sargeant AM launched the Keep Safe Cymru for Veterans scheme. Developed in collaboration between South Wales Police and 160 Brigade and Headquarters in Wales the scheme will help those who may need additional support from the Emergency Services in times of crisis. The Veteran would register their details with the police and should the need arise they would adapt their response appropriately.

If you’d like further information please visit the South Wales police website ​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window.

The Supporting Service Children in Education Cymru (SSCE Cymru) project continues to go from strength to strength. Having secured a third year of funding from the MoD Education Support Fund digital stories and films have been developed to provide additional training and raise awareness of the challenges faced by service children. Created by Service children through a series of workshops and interviews the digital stories give a unique perspective into the life of Armed Forces children living in Wales.

More information about the work of SSCE Cymru ​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window.

The Veterans Bereavement Support Service ​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window works with Veterans and their families across the UK to provide a diverse range of bereavement support services. Working closely with local Councils they are keen to promote their services and are in the process of having a dedicated representative in every county to ensure their services are more accessible. You may wish to raise awareness of their service amongst your networks.

The following websites provide information and advice that may be beneficial to you.

ABF The Soldiers' Charity​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The charity provides timely practical and financial support to four generations of Army families, the physically disabled, the mentally ill, the homeless, the unemployed and the elderly.

British Legion​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - Caring and campaigning for the ex-Service community. Small business loans, training grants and advice.

Forces Pension Society​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - As the independent watchdog for the Armed Forces pensions, FPS reaches out to serving and retired Forces personnel and their relatives and dependents and also offers through life administrative services, such as private medical insurance, conveyancing, probate and will writing, whilst campaigning for Service pension rights. It also supports and advises members in their fight for the pensions they should be receiving. 

The Officers' Association​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The Officers' Association is a charity dedicated to assisting officers who have retired or are about to retire from Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

RAF Association​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The RAF Association (RAFA) provides comradeship, welfare and care for current and former members of the RAF.

RFEA​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The Regular Forces Employment Association (RFEA) is part of the CTP and along with the Officers' Association, and delivers employment support to Service leavers who are registered with the CTP. In addition to this, the RFEA are a long-established Service charity and within that remit, offer job finding assistance to veterans for life.

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund exists to provide assistance to those of the extended Royal Air Force Family who need support as a consequence of poverty, sickness, disability, accident, infirmity or other adversity.

SSAFA​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window- National organization which aids servicemen and their families in times of need, providing welfare and social work services, health care, housing.

Veterans UK​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - Including information and guidance on War Pensions, Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, Commemorations, medals and veterans' issues.

White Ensign Association​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The White Ensign Association is a Naval charity providing guidance on personal administration and finance to all Service and ex-Service personnel of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, and their Reserves.

Women's Royal Naval Service Benevolent Trust​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - The WRNS BT [Registered Charity] was founded to help the women who served in the Women's Royal Naval Service.

The primary objective of the Trust is to provide relief in cases of necessity or distress among its members and their dependents. The Trust is also empowered, in suitable cases, to make grants for the education and training of members.

Sea Cadets​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window - Sea Cadets is a national nautical charity supporting young people aged between 10 and 18. It offers an environment where young people can find new confidence and inspiration. A Sea Cadet unit is an independent charity and members of the UMT are its trustees. There are roles for Company Secretary, Chair and Treasurer. You'll be part of a dedicated team of volunteers helping to fundraise and manage the unit.

  • See also
  • The Community Covenant Grant Scheme
​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​
© 2022 Cardiff Council