Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Identifying Special Education Needs

​​​​​​All children and young people learn in different ways and at different rates.  In every class in every school there will be some pupils who progress at a slower rate than other children and have been identified as having a special educational need. Children with special educational needs may be identified as having: 


  • Difficulty with literacy or numeracy
  • Emotional difficulties, or problems making friends
  • Delays in their speech and language development
  • Physical or medical needs, or impaired vision or hearing.


These needs may be long or short term. ​

All Cardiff schools have money in their budgets and have access to a range of specialist services, so that they can identify pupils who are having difficulties with their learning, and offer them extra support.  


Most children and young people with special educational needs will make progress with the support provided by their school. A small number of pupils may need more support than the school can provide. In these cases, we may decide to carry out a statutory assessment to make sure the needs of the child or young person are fully understood, and to identify the specialist support that will be needed. 


If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the person in your child's school or nursery responsible for special educational needs. This person is called the ‘SEN coordinator', or ‘SENCo'. Please contact the school's office to find out who the SENCo is at your child's school. If your child doesn't go to school or nursery yet, talk to your doctor or your Health Visitor. 


SNAP Cymru provide an Independent Parent Partnership Service in Cardiff and you can contact them for impartial advice about special educational needs.  


Tel: 0808 801 0608​

E-mail: helpline@snapcymru.o​rg​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window