Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Immigration inspections

If you are applying to live in the UK, or are planning to bring a family member to live in the UK, the immigration authorities may need to know about the housing conditions of the property you plan to live in.

This is to ensure that the property is suitable for the intended number of occupants and that there are no hazards to the health, safety and welfare of the occupiers. 

This information will need to come from an independent body such as a qualified surveyor or an Environmental Health Officer.  

We offer this service for £100 which must be paid in advance. 

How to apply for an inspection 

You will need to complete an application form in full. Please give as much information as possible to make sure your application is accepted.

What happens next?

Once we have received your completed form and payment, we will contact you to arrange a convenient time for the inspection. During the inspection, we will need to look around the whole of your property.  

To support our inspection we need the following information: 

  • name, gender and date of birth of the person seeking entry to the UK, 
  • the relationship of the applicant to the person coming in to the UK
  • a copy of a Tenancy Agreement or proof of ownership of the property,  
  • the names and dates of birth of all other people living at the property, 
  • a current satisfactory Gas Safety Certificate for the property, and 
  • a current, satisfactory Electrical Installation Condition Report for the property.

We will aim to inspect your property within 10 working days. We will provide you with a letter to submit to the immigration authorities advising of the suitability of the house for the intended number of occupiers and of any hazards present which may need attention. 

If the property is tenanted, a notice may be sent to the landlord to advise of works needed to protect the health, safety and welfare of the occupiers.

Apply for a housing inspection

Please contact Shared Regulatory Services Housing Team who will arrange to send you an application form and guidance notes on immigration inspection.

Visit the Shared Regulatory Services website.

© 2022 Cardiff Council