Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Health and safety

You must ensure that your business meets the necessary health and safety standards and procedures.  You can find out more information about these standards on the Health and Safety Executive website​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window

We investigate complaints about health and safety issues in the workplace such as:

  • Employers failing to provide protective clothing or adequate toilet facilities.
  • Dangerous working conditions.


We enforce health and safety at work legislation in businesses such as:

  • offices and shops
  • warehouses
  • catering establishments
  • places of sports and entertainment
  • hotels and residential accommodation
  • child care settings
  • Animal care and accommodation
  • Cosmetic services, tattooing and beauty treatments
  • Places of worship


We do this by undertaking planned inspections and targeted initiatives.

We investigate reported accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences and complaints about workplace safety.

We also secure safety standards at large outdoor events that take place on the city​. 

Report a health and safety issue

If you are concerned about conditions or facilities in your workplace and have not been able to resolve the matter with your employer, you can report a hea​lth and safety issue to us. You can report the issue anonymously if you would prefer. 


Accident investigation

The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 states that an employer, a person who is self-employed, or someone in control of work premises is legally obliged to report certain injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the appropriate enforcing authority. 

Find out what must be reported​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995).

You have legal duties under RIDDOR to report and record some work-related accidents by the quickest means possible.

This is so that we can:

  • investigate the cause of the incident
  • prevent a reoccurrence of the incident
  • enable duty holders to comply with health and safety legislation


Reporting an accident or serious incident

Report online​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window


Or contact:

The Incident Contact Centre ICC
Caerphilly Business Park 
CF83 3GG

Tel: 0845 300 9923 (local rates apply)
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5pm


For the more serious incidents such as:

  • fatal accidents
  • accidents where several workers have been seriously injured
  • accident resulting in serious injury to ma member of the public
  • accidents and incidents causing major disruption such as road closures, evacuation of homes and businesses, or large numbers going to hospital


Please contact us at any time:

​Health and Safety Enforcement Section 
0300 123 6696​

© 2022 Cardiff Council