Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Domestic abuse

​​​​​RISE​​​​​​ is Cardiff’s specialist service for women (and their children) who are experiencing or escaping any form of violence against women.

RISE is a non-judgemental service that can provide advice and support about:

  • ​​domestic abuse (including coercive control), 
  • sexual violence and sexual exploitation, 
  • stalking and harassment, 
  • human trafficking and modern day slavery, 
  • forced marriage, 
  • honour crimes, and 
  • female genital mutilation (FGM).

RISE can help with practical issues to keep you and your family safe. This may include securing your existing home or helping you to access an alternative safe place to stay. 

If you are looking for support you can contact the service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on (029) 2046 0566.

The service can provide the support you need face to face, on the phone, or via online chat through their website​​​​​​

You can also contact RISE if you are a professional seeking advice or want to refer someone.

Male Victims

If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse and / or sexual violence you can also use the RISE​​​​ service.

Alternatively you can contact the Dyn Project which provides confidential advice and support services for men in Cardiff who have experienced domestic abuse.

Phone: 0808 801 0321 email at:​ or go to ​​.  

The service is open Mon and Tue 10.00am to 4.00pm, Wed 10.00am to 1.00pm.

S​​exual Violence

‘Ynys Saff’ or ‘Safe Island’ is the region’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) where a range of specially trained, experienced professionals provide help, support and advice to men, women, children and young people, following a sexual assault. They are based at the Cardiff Royal Infirmary and can be contacted on 029 2033 5795.

New Pathways is a non- judgemental service that provides counselling support for those who have experienced trauma, particularly from rape or sexual abuse. Contact them on (01685) 379 310 or via email at 

Live Fear Free Helpline

The Live Fear Free helpline is a free 24hr bilingual service that operates across Wales. Funded by Welsh Government and available to anyone who is affected by abuse. 

The helpline can provide advice and support to those directly affected, friends and family members who are concerned about someone, employers and other professionals. They can be contacted on 0808 80 10 800 or via webchat:

Remember: If you are in immediate danger, call 999.

To meet our legal duties and to support the national Violence against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Strategy, the statutory and specialist organisations in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan have produced a regional strategy 2018-2023 that we have called ’It’s in our Hands’.

Issues covered include:

  • domestic abuse, 
  • rape and sexual violence, 
  • sexual exploitation (including through the sex industry), 
  • modern day slavery, 
  • forced marriage, 
  • female genital mutilation (FGM), 
  • child sexual exploitation (CSE), 
  • stalking, and 
  • sexual harassment. 

Women, men, children and young people can experience and be affected but we recognise that women are affected most.

We want to make sure that people who live, work, study in, and visit, our region have the opportunity to live positive, independent lives without being affected by violence and abuse.

Access the strategy document, the action plan and other published reports​ on the Cardiff Partnerships website. 

The White Ribbon Campaign is the largest global movement of men and boys working to end violence against women and girls, promoting gender equality and a new version of masculinity.

Cardiff Council has been awarded White Ribbon City status for the past 4 years. Achieving the award demonstrates our commitment, not only as a local authority, but as a city, to make it clear that domestic abuse and all other forms of violence against women and girls will not be tolerated. You can find out more about White Ribbon UK here:​

Since receiving our first White Ribbon City status in 2014 the local campaign has grown steadily with activities receiving national and international support and recognition including the flowerbed outside Cardiff Castle which depicts the white ribbon at key points throughout the year.

One of our key events is the ‘Walk a Mile in Her Shoes’, an annual event organised in partnership with Cadwyn Housing Association and now with the Vale of Glamorgan Council. White Ribbon Day is the 25th November each year which coincides with the United Nations ‘International Day to Eliminate Violence against Women and Girls’. We develop a calendar of public events around this date each year. You can follow our White Ribbon activities on social media by following #whiteribboncardiffvale

For more information please contact Cardiff’s Domestic Abuse Co-ordinator on 029 2053 7009​

© 2022 Cardiff Council