Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Support and advice

​​We understand that sometimes getting your children up and out on time every morning can be difficult, particularly if your child does not want to go for some reason.

However it is in their best interest if they attend school, so here are some ways you can help get them out of the house and to school on time. 

What can I do to make sure my child attends school? ​

  • Make sure you know the school's attendance policy, every school has one.
  • Make sure your child arrives on time to start both the morning and afternoon sessions.
  • If you suspect that your child may be missing school or is unhappy at school contact the school or the EWS (Education Welfare Service) as soon as possible. They can help resolve any difficulties and offer friendly advice.
  • If your child does miss school, get in touch with the school. School staff will work with you to help improve the situation. It is better to contact us first so that we can make sure steps are taken to help you.
  • If your child is away for other reasons like a doctor's appointment or the dentist, let the school know in advance.
  • Make sure your child knows that you do not approve of them missing school for any reason, but be on the alert for any particular reasons for not attending school, like bullying, difficulties with school work.
  • Take an interest in your child's education, ask them what they did in school and find out if they are struggling in any way and offer your support. If you are unable to help them, speak to the school and let them know of any difficulties.


I am still struggling to send my child to school

Do not worry. You can call us and we will be happy to help in any way we can. You can call 029 2087 3619 during regular school hours.

We will work with you and the school to make sure your child gets support or tackle any issues which may be preventing them from going to school. 

It is better to contact us in the first place so that we can make sure steps are taken to help you.

If you are worried or feel that there is a problem with your child's attendance, it is always best to talk to their school first. If your child attends a secondary school, ask to speak to the School Attendance Officer who is based at the school.

If your child attends a primary school or special school, your School Attendance Officer can be contacted at your local High School.

The service offers advice on the following:  ​

  • School attendance issues
  • Bullying
  • How to seek advice and support from other agencies on matters relating to attendance or bullying

For further information, please contact us.               

Contact us

© 2022 Cardiff Council