Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Changing school (during academic year)

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The School Transfer process is for any child already attending school who:

  • is moving into Cardiff from another Local Authority or country, or
  • is living in Cardiff and wishes to transfer from one school to another during the academic year

Parents can ask to change schools at any stage of their child's education, but this calls for serious consideration.

Unless you are forced to transfer your child because you are moving house, we strongly advise you discuss the situation with your child's head teacher in the first instance.​

Moving house​

You can apply for an in-year transfer online if you are moving into Cardiff from another Local Authority or country, or moving house within Cardiff.

Start or edit an application​ ​​ 

If you need help with your application, please read our guidance on applying for a sc​hool place​

There may also be faith schools in your area, to enquire about availability please contact the school directly. 

Changing schools during the academic year

Many issues that worry parents and children can be resolved without the need to move schools. 

Talking to your child and staff at your child's school could resolve the problem. It is important that you consider whether a transfer is really the best option for your child.

We will inform your child's current school of a request to change schools.
​​Reason for changing school
​​Steps to take before applying to transfer 
​Unresolved issues
​Discuss your concerns with the Head of Year, Class Teacher or Head teacher.

If you feel the school has not responded appropriately, you should raise the issue with the Board of Governors. These complaints must be taken seriously.
​Attendance issues
​Sit down with your child and try to find out why he or she is not attending school. You can also talk to your child’s teachers.
​School bullying and emotional wellbeing
​Contact your school and ask for a copy of their safeguarding, bullying or emotional wellbeing policies. If you feel these policies have not be followed, you should inform the school.

All schools have a responsibility to address bullying and all schools are equipped to deal with this. If you feel they haven’t, please contact the Head teacher or the Board of Governors.

If the bullying is particularly severe we advise you to contact the police.
​To avoid exclusion
​Talk to your child’s teacher, Head of Year or Head teacher. 

Check if your child has a Pastoral Support Plan or has been identified as having Special Educational Needs. Ask for a review of the Pastoral Support Plan.
​Additional learning Needs
​Talk to the teacher in charge of Additional Needs (ALNCO) at the school. 

Contact the ALN Casework Team (Tel: 029 2233 0711).
If, after working with your child’s current school, you still feel that a transfer request is needed, please arrange an appointment with your current school. At this meeting you should discuss: 

  • The reasons for needing to transfer 
  • Completing an application and to collect the transfer information for your child

Year 10 and 11 pupils 

When requesting a school transfer parents must give consideration to the new school being able to offer the subject choices and courses that your child has been studying. 

Once GCSE courses have already started it is not always possible to continue studying the same subjects in another school, which could impact on the number of GCSEs exam passes that will be achievable following a change of school. 

There is also the possibility that even if the new school offers the required courses, they may not be in a position to accommodate your child if the courses are full.

As school transfers in these year groups can be particularly disruptive to your child’s education, further discussion may be required with the schools and parents before final arrangements are made.

Variation of admission number

Following consultation, the Council has determined admissions arrangements for the 2023/2024 school year which an increase in the Published Admission Number at Radyr Comprehensive School from 210 places to 240 places. 

The Council has also agreed with the Governing Body of Radyr Comprehensive School to implement the increase to the admission number in Years 7-10, for the 2022/2023 school year.​​

Contact us

If you have a question or would like more information, please contact us online:

​​Or call C2C on 029 2087 2087.​​