Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

In-year transfers

Parents can ask to change schools at any stage of their child's education, but this calls for serious consideration. 

Unless you are forced to transfer your child because you are moving house, we strongly advise you discuss the situation with your child's Head teacher in the first instance. Find the school.

Visit one of our Advice Hubs for assistance with completing the form. 

Login to the School Applications system

How to apply for your school place (773kb PDF)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window

Talking it through

Many issues that worry parents and children can be sorted out without the need to move schools. Talking to your child and staff at your child's school could resolve the problem. It is important that you consider whether a transfer is really the best option for your child.


Year 10 and 11 pupils

There may be strong educational reasons against a transfer in the case of pupils in Years 10 and 11 who have already started examination courses. Where a request relates to a pupil in year 10 or 11, you must include details of the option courses your child has chosen. Although there may be a place at another school for your child, your child's current options may not be available. 

Find out more about the In Year Admissions process (280kb PDF)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window