Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Appealing a decision about a school place

If you are refused a place at any Community School for your child, then you are able to submit an appeal to the Cardiff Independent School Appeals Panel.

Members of the Cardiff Independent School Appeals Panel are entirely independent of the City of Cardiff Council and their decisions are legally binding, which means if your appeal is successful your child must be admitted to the school. 

Panel members are volunteers who are fully trained in the legal tests that must be applied under the School Admissions Appeals Code. The Appeals process is administered by the City of Cardiff Council’s legal services department, who act as Clerk to the Panel.  

Parents are able to attend a hearing with 3 Independent School Appeal Panel members to explain why their child should attend a particular school, before the Panel Members make a decision about their appeal. 

If you wish to submit an appeal, you should complete a School Admissions Appeal form (33kb DOC)​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window setting out your reasons for appealing. 

The form must be submitted by email to​ or to:

Clerk to Cardiff Independent School Appeals Panel, Room 462, County Hall, Cardiff CF10 4UW. 

The letter sent confirming that a place at a community school has been refused will also give the date by which you must submit an appeal. If you submit your appeal after this date, it will not be accepted unless you can say why it was not possible to submit your appeal on time.

Appeals for Foundation or Voluntary Aided (Faith/Church) schools must be made directly to the school.

Appeals for Whitchurch High School must also be made directly to the school.​

What are the chances of being successful at the appeal?

​School Year ​Number of appeals ​Successful appeals

Further information about appealing a school place:

​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​