Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Where to get support

​​​Speak to your child's teacher - If you think that your child has Additional Learning Needs (ALN) talk to your child's teacher or ALN Coordinator (ALNCo).
For further details and information, please watch the video guide​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window.

Create an Individual Development Plan (IDP) together - If the school agrees with you that your child has ALN, the school will work with you and your child to create an IDP. 
For more information on IDP's see our Guide for Learners​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window page.

Discuss any concerns with the school or local authority - If the school does not agree that your child has ALN, or you are dissatisfied with your child's IDP, discuss it with the school or local authority.  You can contact the local authority via the ALN Advice and Helpline on 029 2087 2731 or you can email​

The helpline is monitored on weekdays, including school holidays.

You can have access to an advocate - If the local authority agrees with the school but you are still unhappy, they can point you to independent advocacy services such as SNAP Cymru.
You can call the SNAP Cymru Independent Information Advice and Support Service on 0808 801 0608. 

You have a right to appeal - All children and young people and their parents or carers have the right to appeal against decisions to the Education Tribunal of Wales (ETW).

You can visit the Cardiff Education Services website​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window for more information on the support available.

Contact us


© 2022 Cardiff Council