Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

What is a statement of Special Educational Needs?

​​​​​​​If the outcome of statutory assessment is that your child needs a Statement of Special Educational Needs, you will receive a proposed statement within two weeks of the decision being made. This is a draft version of the final statement. You will also receive a copy of the advice that was gathered during the assessment. This was the advice used to write the proposed statement. 

When you receive the proposed statement you should read through it very carefully. If there is anything you do not understand you should contact your SEN Casework Officer whose name can be found in the letter attached to the proposed statement.

A statement has six parts.

Part 1 - gives basic details such as your child's name and address. It also lists those who have provided advice during the assessment.

Part 2 - gives a detailed summary of your child's special educational needs.

Part 3 - describes how your child's special educational needs will be supported. It provides objectives and the provision that will allow the objectives to be met. Part 3 also includes the way in which your child's progress will be monitored.

Part 4 - states the early education setting or school that your child will attend to receive the support stated in part 3. The proposed statement does not name a school in part 4. It is only named in the final statement because we want to know your views before deciding this.

Part 5 - describes any non-educational needs your child may have such as health needs.

Part 6 - describes how your child will receive the help described in part 5.

What to do once you receive the statement

You have 15 working days (three weeks) from when you receive the proposed statement to give us your comments and state which school you would like your child to attend. If we do not hear from in this time we will assume you are happy with the proposals. 

If you do not agree with any part of the proposed statement you can ask us to make changes to it. Your concerns need to be put in writing or you can ask for a meeting to discuss them. Remember, you will need to make your submission within 15 working days.​

If a meeting is held, you are entitled to another 15 working days (three weeks) to make further comments or request a further meeting. If there is still disagreement after this meeting then you have a final 15 working days to make further comment. 

Your SEN Casework Officer is available to provide support and advice during this process. Your child's school will also be able to provide help and support. In addition there is an Independent Parent Partnership Service whose contact details can also be found on the back of this leaflet.

Final Statement

Once the statement is finalised it becomes a legal document that sets out your child's special  educational needs, and the type of special help and support that your child will need in an  educational setting. From the date of the Final Statement we must provide your child's school with  any extra resources specified in it.

The Final Statement will normally be issued within eight weeks of the Proposed Statement being issued. It may be the same as the Proposed Statement or it may have changed as a result of discussions we have had with you. Part 4 will be completed naming the school that your child will attend.

Your child's school and those who were involved in the Statutory Assessment will also receive a copy of the Final Statement as well as a copy of all the advice that was used to write the statement.

If you have not been able to agree on the content of the Final Statement, you have the right to use disagreement resolution or appeal to the SEN Tribunal of Wales. Details of how to appeal are sent with the Final Statement.

​Who can I contact if I need further help or support?

  • ​The Additional Learning Needs Coordinator (ALNCO) at your child's School or Setting.
  • Your Casework Officer based in the SEN Casework Team at County Hall.​ Tel: 029 20872731
  • SNAP Cymru who provide an Independent Parent Partnership Service. Tel: 0845 120 3730​

© 2022 Cardiff Council