Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

School Streets

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​School Streets are areas around School entrances that are closed to vehicles during peak drop-off and pick-up times. 

This is to help children access the school safely, promote active travel and reduce air pollution. 

Only vehicles with valid School Street permits are permitted to enter School Streets during restricted times.

School Street Locations​

​There are many school streets in Cardiff, and each has its own location reference: ​

​School​Affected Roads​​​Restricted Times​​​Zone reference​​
​Creigiau Primary School
​​Tregarth Close
Tregarth Court​
​8:30am to 9:30a​m
3pm to 4pm
​Glan Yr Afon Primary School
​Browning Close​​​​8:30am to 9:30a​m
2:30pm to 3:30pm
Gladstone Primary School and
St Monica's Church in Wales Primary​ School
​Pentyrch Street
Cwmdare Street​
​8:30am to 9:30a​m
3pm to 4pm
Tredegarville Church in Wales Primary​ School​​
Newport Road Lane 
​8am to 9:30a​m
2pm to 4pm
​Bryn Hafod Primary School
​Blagdon Close
Uphill Road​​
​8:30m to 9:30am
2:30pm to 3:30pm
​Willowbrook Primary School

​Bulrush Close​
​​8:30am to 9:30a​m
3pm to 4pm
​St Peter’s RC Primary School
​Southey Street​​​8:30am to 9:30a​m
3pm to 4pm
​St Cuthbert’s RC Primary School                  

​​Letton Road
​8:30am to 9:30a​m
3pm to 4pm​
​Lakeside Primary School
Ontario Way
Winnipeg Drive
Manitoba Close
​​​​8:30am to 9:30a​m
3pm to 4pm

​ ​

​School​Affected Roads​​​Restricted Times​​​Zone reference​​
​Ysgol Gynradd Melin Gruffydd
​Glan Y Nant Road
Glan Y Nant Terrace
Davis’s Terrace
​8:30am to 9:​15a​m
2:45pm to 3:45pm
​Ysgol Gynradd Pencaerau​Cyntwell Avenue​​​8:30am to 9:15am
2:45pm to 3:45pm
​Peter Lea Primary School
​Carter Place​​​8:30am to 9:15am
2:45pm to 3:45pm
​Llandaff City Church in Wales Primary School

​Hendre Close​​​8:30am to 9:15am
2:45pm to 3:45pm
​Lansdowne Primary School

​Norfolk Street
Surre​y Street

8:30am to 9:15am
2:30pm to 3:15pm
​Ysgol Gynradd Coed y Gof
​Bramble Close
Lime Grove
8:30am to 9:30am
2:30pm to 3:30pm
Rhiwbina Primary School

Lon Y Dail
Lon Ganol
Lon Ucha
8:30am to 9:15a​m
3:00pm to 3:45pm

​Bryn Y Deryn PRU, Fitzalan High School, and Ysgol Pwll Coch​
​Lawrenny Avenue
​8:15am to 9:15am
2:30pm to 3:45pm

​School​Affected Roads​​​Restricted Times​​​Zone reference​​
​Kitchener Primary School
​Railway Terrace
​8:15am to 9:​15a​m
2:15pm to 3:15pm
St Paul's Church in Wales Primary School
​Bromsgrove Street 
Oakley Place
Hewell Street
​​​8:30am to 9:15am
2:30pm to 3:15pm

School Street Permits 

You may be eligible to apply for a free digital School Street access permit online. As they are digital, you will not need to display anything in your vehicle. 

School Street permits are valid for 1 year from the date of application being accepted.​ 

Terms and conditions apply. 

We aim to review all applications within 7 working days​

Please remember that School Street permits are not parking permits, and when parking, all restrictions that may be present must be followed.

Annual Permits​

You can apply ​online for a School Street permit  if you live within a School Street and your vehicle is registered or kept at your address. 

To apply, you will need your Council Tax reference number to hand, and a copy of one of the following: 

  • UK Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5c Logbook)
  • Lease, Finance or Rental Agreement 
  • Insurance Certificate and Policy (including Motability Insurance) 
  • Company Vehicles: you must provide a company headed letter dated within 28 days of your application to confirm all of the following you are an employee/director, you are authorised to drive the vehicle, you keep the vehicle overnight at your address, vehicle registration number and the name and position of the person signing the letter.

If you are unable to provide a Council Tax reference you will need to download our application form (PDF), and provide a proof of address. This will then allow you to obtain permits. The completed form should then be sent to​

You won’t need a School Street permit if your vehicle already has a digital resident e-permit. Resident visitor parking permits do not apply to School Streets.

Emergency Visitor Passes 

Residents have the option to obtain up to 30 day passes per academic year for visitors requiring access in the event of an emergency (such as if a plumber needs to attend a water leak). 

One pass provides one vehicle with one full day’s access. 

While there will be no limit on the number of emergency passes that can be activated at any one time, they are not transferable between vehicles. 

When your visitor arrives you can activate an emergency day pass via the “Activate Visitor Permit” option on your MiPermit account.

Blue Badge Holders​​

You can apply for a School Street exemption permit  if you are a Blue Badge holder and if you are:

  • A pupil of a school in a School Street 
  • The parent or guardian of a child attends a school in a School Street 
  • A staff member of a school in a School Street 
  • A resident of a School Street and do not own your own vehicle

You will need to upload proof of a valid Blue Badge and proof that you meet one of the above criteria.

You do not have to be the driver or owner of the vehicle as Blue Badge permits apply to any vehicle. However the permit only applies when the vehicle is being used solely for the benefit of the Blue Badge holder at the time of entering the School Street, and the Blue Badge holder must have their Blue Badge with them at all times.  


You may apply for a School Street carer exemption permit if you provide regular care to a resident of a School Street.

This includes both professionals and anyone who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, and they cannot otherwise manage without their day-to-day support.

To apply for a carer exemption permit  you must provide proof of your ownership/use of the permit vehicle (such as your V5c Logbook or insurance document), and at least one of the following:

  • Proof of employment as a professional heath carer
  • A copy of receipt of Carers Allowance or Carers Credit benefits; or,
  • A letter signed by the resident confirming care requirements. In these circumstances, each application will be considered on its own merits.

You will also be required to provide the full name and address of the resident. 
You can apply for a School Street permit  if you own, run or are employed by a Business, Religious or Community Premises in a School Street. 

To apply you will need to provide:

  • Proof that you own or use the permit vehicle (such as your V5c Logbook or insurance documents), and;
  • Confirmation of your requirements for access (such as a copy of your business rates, staff ID or a covering letter on company headed paper signed by an appropriate person such as a manager)


It is an offence to enter an active school street without a valid school street permit. We will use enforcement cameras to monitor school streets and issue fines (Penalty Charge Notices​) to offenders. 

The fine for this offence is £70, reduced to £35 if paid within 21 days. If the fine is ignored the penalty will increase. There will be a right of appeal if you believe the PCN should not have been issued. 

Enforcement will take place when schools are open​.​

​​​​​​ ​​​​​​

© 2022 Cardiff Council