Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Traffic access permits

​​​​There are traffic restrictions in some neighbourhoods in Cardiff.

Their aim is to reduce traffic or prevent unsuitable vehicles from using some roads.

You need a traffic permit to access these restricted roads.

Types of access permits 

Traffic access resident permits are not resident parking permits. Follow any parking restrictions in the area.

There are various types of access permits. It depends on if you are a:

  • resident, 
  • visitor, or
  • business.

All traffic permits are free and digital. You do not need to display anything in your vehicle. 


If you are a resident, you can apply for a permit for yourself if you live in an access neighbourhood or road.

To apply, you will need:

  • your Council Tax reference number, and 
  • proof of vehicle at your address (for example, a copy of your insurance document or V5c logbook).

You can also apply for a visitor permit. Register the number place of your visitor’s car before midnight on the day for a full day of free access.  


You can apply for a business permit if you own or manage a:

  • business
  • religious building, or 
  • community premises, such as a social club or hall.

You can apply for up to 10 business permits on a first-come first-serve basis.​

You need to prove your relationship with the business to apply. For example, with a:

  • copy of staff ID, or 
  • covering letter on headed paper. 

​​​You can change the vehicle registrations on your account anytime.

You need to change it before driving into the restricted road. 

Apply for a traffic access permit

You can apply for a resident or business permit through MiPermit.

Apply for a permit

© 2022 Cardiff Council