Navigate Up
Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area
new cardiff > ENG > Resident > Parking, Roads and Travel > Parking > H Bar Markings (Access protection markings)

H Bar Markings (Access protection markings)

Access protection markings, also known as H bar markings, are white lines placed on the road, normally in front of driveways and garages. They help drivers identify that if they park there they may be causing an obstruction and that they shouldn’t block access to off-road parking areas.

What does a H Bar marking look like?

H bar markings are easily recognisable to help deter drivers from parking inconsiderately.


How can I apply for a H Bar Marking?

You can request that a H Bar marking is placed in front of your access point, driveway or garage, provided certain legal criteria are met. The cost for a H Bar marking application is £150.00, this is non-refundable. Full payment will be required before any instillation is considered. There is currently no charge for Blue Badge holders. 

You should read the terms and conditions (404kb PDF)Link opens in a new window before applying. 

You can apply by completing the application form (430kb PDF)Link opens in a new window and by sending it to:

Asset Management,
County Hall,
Atlantic Wharf,
CF10 4UW

Any information you provide will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

Upon the Council receiving your application form you will be contacted by an officer in due course to take payment.

H bar markings cannot be requested over shared use access points unless you have written consent of everyone permitted to use that access point, or where some other parking restrictions are already present, for example double yellow lines.

Can someone be fined for parking on a H Bar Marking?

Yes. While it is not in itself an offence to park on a H Bar marking, a Penalty Charge Notice (parking fine) may be issued provided that a H bar marking is also placed where the kerb has been lowered to allow for vehicle access across the footway. If you see a vehicle parked on a H bar marking where the kerb has also been lowered then it can be confidentially reported.