Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

What happens if I receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)?

​​​​​​​​If you have parked your vehicle in breach of Cardiff’s parking regulat​ions, we will issue you with a parking fine. This is called a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). 

This means we will fine you £50 or £70, depending on the type of parking offence. You will only have to pay half of this if you pay within 14 days. 

You will need to decide whether to pay the fine​ or appeal the PCN​

What happens if I ignore the PCN?

If you ignore the PCN, the fine will go up by 50%. We will issue you a charge certificate. Once we issue this, you have legally lost your chance to appeal. 

If you believe you have mitigating circumstances as to why we should accept a late appeal from you, you can write to us explaining why. You must do this within 14 days of receiving the charge certificate. 

After 14 days, we will apply to the Traffic Enforcement Centre to register the debt. This will add an extra £9 court fee to your case. 

Once the debt is registered, an Order for Recovery and In Time Witness Statement will be issued. ​​

What to do if you receive an Order for Recovery (TE3) and In Time Witness Statement (TE9)

Once you are issued an Order for Recovery (TE3) and an In Time Witness Statement (TE9), you can only dispute the charge on limited grounds. You must do this by the date shown on the notice. 

The limited grounds for disputing a charge are:

  • I did not receive the Notice to Owner or Penalty Charge Notice 

  • I appealed against the local authority’s decision to reject my representation, within 28 days of service of the rejection notice, but have had no response to my appeal.

  • I made representations about the fine to the enforcing authority concerned within 28 days of the service of the Notice to Owner but did not receive a rejection notice.

  • The fine has already been paid in full.

If none of these limited grounds apply to you, you should make payment by the date shown on the notice. 

Once the date on the notice has expired, we will apply again to the Traffic Enforcement Centre for a warrant to be issued. You will then receive a Notice of Enforcement. ​

Find out what to do if you have received a Notice of Enforcement​


© 2022 Cardiff Council