Navigate Up
Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area
new cardiff > ENG > Resident > Parking, Roads and Travel > Apply for a bus pass

Apply for a bus pass

All senior citizens and disabled people receive free bus travel on local bus services throughout Wales.


Disabled people who need assistance to travel may also be allowed to take a companion with them for free.


Who can apply for a bus pass?

You can apply for a bus pass if you:


  • are aged over 60; or
  • suffer from a disability or injury which makes it really difficult for you to walk; or
  • are deaf and without speech; or
  • are blind or partially-sighted; or
  • would be refused a driving licence under section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 Link opens in a new window – unless it is due to persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol; or
  • cannot use both arms; or
  • have a learning disability.


Which buses can I use my pass on?

Passes can be used on all local bus services throughout Wales 7 days a week at any time of the day. Passes are not valid for travel on National Express, Trawscambria and the Swansea Shuttle services.


More information about bus services can be found on the Traveline Cymru website.


Some councils that border England have also arranged for passes to be valid on routes into nearby towns within England.


How do I apply?


You need to fill out one of the following application forms and then bring it to one of our Advice Hubs :



Your application must also include:


  • a proof of residency in Cardiff dated within the last 3 months – e.g. benefit or pension documents, bank statement, council tax form and utility bills.
  • a proof of age (e.g. medical card, birth certificate, passport, driving licence) or disablement
  • if aged under 65, proof of eligibility for disability living allowance, mobility component at the high rate or have their applications forms to be certified by their general practitioner or physician.


Alternatively, you cant contact us to request us to post an application form to you, or you can find them in our Advice Hubs.


Lost or stolen pass?

We will provide you with a new bus pass when you complete a replacement form (PDF 14.6KB)Link opens in a new window and either return it to the address shown on it or just hand it in to one of our Advice Hubs.


The process will take around 7-10 days unless you bring the completed form directly to the City Centre Hub.


There is a £5 administration fee for a replacement bus pass.


Cash payment is only accepted at our Hubs. For postal applications please enclose a cheque or postal order made payable to Cardiff Council.