Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Help for young people

​​​​ If you are 18 to 21 years old and at risk of homelessness you can access specialist help at our Young Persons Accommodation Gateway:

53 Charles Street,
CF10 2DG. 
029 2087 3570.

If possible, don’t walk out after a disagreement, try to stay at home. 

We will try to help prevent you from becoming homeless in the first place.

We can help you in many ways including family mediation to help you to stay at home, or we may help if you have rent arrears. If keeping your home is not possible we can help you find suitable accommodation. 

We will need to confirm that you are legally homeless and the reasons for this. We will contact your parents, or whoever you live with, for more details and discuss whether you can return home.

If you are not ready to live independently we have a range of specialist support accommodation for young people. Your case worker will advise you of your options.

You can still contact us for advice and support on what to do next, but if you do find yourself homeless tonight and have nowhere to go, contact us immediately

029 2057 0750 (daytime) 


029 2087 3141 (emergency number out of office hours).

We will help you find a new home and check that you can afford the rent before you sign a tenancy agreement. We will also ensure the property is of an acceptable standard and is suitable for you.

We recommend attending our home finder workshops at your local community hub. Your case worker will advise you of these, or contact your local hub​ for details.
You could think about applying for a council or a housing association home.

Please note that the amount of properties available are very scarce and it can take a long time. You will only be offered one property.

If you want to apply for a council home or a housing association home you will need to attend a Housing Application interview, where you will be given housing advice based on your needs.

To find out more information about making a housing application please contact 029 2053 7111 or visit your local hub​.​
When you turn 18 you are entitled to claim benefits. 

However, if you have been in care, this doesn’t apply until you turn 22. Until then you should be able to get the full one-bedroom rate.
As a care leaver you will continue to receive help and advice from us until your 25th birthday.

Your personal advisor will keep in touch with you to see how you are getting on. Before you leave care you are given an action plan setting out what support you might need to live independently.
© 2022 Cardiff Council