Navigate Up
Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area
new cardiff > ENG > Resident > Housing > Private housing > Tenants advice and support

Tenants advice and support

Get a general view of the services we provide to private tenants and how we oversee the practices of private landlords in Cardiff. 


Finding an accredited landlord

Standards of accommodation


Landlord responsibility

Your responsibility 

Advice for students

Tenants Support Scheme


Finding an accredited landlord


Rent Smart Wales​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window  is a scheme that ensures landlords keep their property in good condition and comply with good management practices.


Back to top


Standards of accommodation


If you are concerned about the standards of your rented accommodation or the management practices of your landlord we can offer advice on how to deal with these issues.


We will investigate complaints about the following issues:


  • repairs to the structure of the property
  • baths, sinks and other sanitary installations
  • heating and hot water installations
  • gas and electrical installations
  • health and safety concerns
  • damp and mould growth
  • poor heating and thermal efficiency
  • fire safety and means of escape 


We can also investigate complaints about domestic premises where:


  • disrepair within one residential property affects a neighbouring property
  • nuisance is caused by keeping animals or birds
  • premises are pest-ridden or in a filthy condition 

Please be aware that we can only take your complaint further once you have informed your landlord in writing and they have been given an opportunity to rectify the situation.


What if the situation doesn’t improve?


If you find that your landlord is unwilling to deal with poor conditions in your property after you have informed them in writing, please report the issue to us or call 029 2087 1762.

Depending on the outcome of our investigations, we may take enforcement action to ensure the condition of your home reaches the standards set under current law.


Back to top




Private sector housing licences are issued by local authorities to maintain standards of property and property management in a particular area.


Your landlord must have a license for all properties which have three or more storeys and are occupied by five or more people forming two or more households. This type of property is known as a House in Multiple Occupation or HMO.  


Back to top


Landlord responsibilities


The duties of a landlord include maintaining the exterior and structural elements of the property as well as the safe and efficient running of:

  • water, gas and electricity supplies;
  • personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage systems;
  • fridges and freezers (if provided);
  • ventilation;
  • heating the property; and
  • heating water.



    Back to top


    Your responsibility


    As a tenant in a privately rented property you will have certain rights and responsibilities. Your tenancy agreement may give details of both your landlord’s and your responsibilities in carrying out repairs and you should check this for more detail.


    Get information on tenants’ rights and responsibilitiesLink opens in a new window from the central government website.


    If you need advice on:


    • deposits,
    • tenancy agreements, and
    • contractual issues.  


    Please contact our Housing Options Service or call us on 029 2057 0750. You can also contact other advice agencies who can help with housing issues. 


    The Citizens Advice websiteLink opens in a new window also offers advice on tenants’ rights and responsibilities. 


    Back to top