Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

High hedges

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 deals with high hedges. In order to make a complaint the hedge must be:


  • on another person’s property
  • made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • over 2 metres high
  • a barrier to light
  • negatively effects your living accommodation or garden through loss of light.


Before you make a complaint you must make every effort to resolve the situation yourself, by:


  • talking to the hedge owner or person living at the property about the problems being caused by the high hedge;
  • sending a letter to the hedge owner or person living at the property to try to resolve the problem; and if necessary,
  • informing the hedge owner or person living at the property of your intention to complain to the council. 


You can contact us for advice by emailing 


Cost and time


The fee for investigating a complaint is £320, or £160 if you are in receipt of a Means Tested Benefit. This must be paid by cheque or postal order made out to ‘Cardiff Council’ when you send us your complaint form.


We aim to make a decision in 16 weeks from when we receive your official complaint, although some decisions may take longer.


Overgrown hedges in public places


To let us know about other high and overgrown hedges or trees, such as on public footpaths, in parks or covering road signs, contact us.