Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Financial help

​​​​There are many different schemes and offers to help older and disabled people.  

Help with Heating and Other Utility Bills 

View the options for help with heating and utility bill costs.

Cold Weather Payment​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ 

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits. You’ll get a payment if the temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, 0°C or below for 7 consecutive days.
These payments are normally made automatically, but some people may need to make a claim. 

Help from your energy provider​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​ 

You may qualify for extra help from yo​​ur energy provider if you are:
  • ​of pension age,
  • disabled,
  • a family living on low income,
  • living with long-term health conditions, or
  • living on benefits.

If you are unsure whether you can qualify for help, visit the Central Library Hub and talk to one of our friendly advisors, or contact the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99. 

Discretionary Assistance Fund 

The Discretionary Assistance Fund replaced Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans. Individual Assistance Payments are to help vulnerable people live independently. Emergency Assistance Payments are to help people following an emergency or disaster.  


View the options for help with transport costs. 


You can get a bus pass if you are a resident of Cardiff and aged sixty or over to travel for free on local buses across Wales. If you are disabled, you may be eligible for a bus pass for yourself and for a companion if you are unable to travel on a bus alone.


You are eligible for a Senior Railcard​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ if you are 60 years old or over. Your Railcard will save you 1/3 off a wide range of tickets.​​
You may be eligible for a Disabled Persons Railcard​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ if your disability makes travelling by train difficult. Your Railcard will save you 1/3 off a wide range of tickets. 


View the options for help with entertainment costs.

TV Licence 

If you are currently 74 and your licence is due for renewal, you can buy a short-term TV licence to cover you up to your 75th birthday. When you reach the age of 75, you can then apply for a free over-75 TV Licence​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​.

If you are blind or severely sight impaired and can provide the appropriate evidence, you are eligible to apply for a 50% concession. Your licence will also cover anyone who lives with you.


Cinemas and Theatres


Cinema tickets are often cheaper during the day or on a certain evening.  You may be charged a lower price if you are over 60.  Theatres also may have a discount for the over 60s. 

If you are over 60, some shops, especially DIY stores and garden centres, offer extra benefits such as more loyalty points or discounts on certain days. 


Pubs and Restaurants


Locally many pubs will do a ‘Senior Citizens’ lunch’ or have other similar schemes for older people. Restaurants may also provide discounts at certain times, sometimes providing a limited menu for these schemes.


If you would like to find out more, please contact us Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5pm, or Fridays 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Contact us

© 2022 Cardiff Council