Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

At risk of being homeless

​If you are faced with losing your home you need to get advice as quickly as possible. Getting help at an early stage can stop your housing problem becoming a crisis.


There are a variety of reasons that may mean you are at risk of becoming homeless. These include:


  • Difficulty paying your mortgage or rent.
  • A breakdown in your relationship with your parents or partner which means you can no longer live with them.
  • Harassment or intimidation.
  • Receiving a notice to quit from your landlord.
  • Being harassed by your landlord.
  • Your property is in poor condition.
  • Your rent is in arrears.
  • Dispute with your landlord over a bond or deposit.



Please remember that in considering your case, the Council will also assess whether you have in any way contributed to your circumstances – this is called ‘intentionality’. Each case is considered carefully to decide whether the loss of accommodation was deliberate or through no fault of your own.  ‘Intentionality’ will be considered for all households except 16/17 year olds who cannot be held responsible for the loss of any previous accommodation.

The Council is permitted to do this under the ‘Homelessness (Intentionality) (Specified Categories) (Wales) Regulations 2015’.

Whether you are a home owner, private tenant, council or housing association tenant you can contact our Housing Options Service below or call us on 029 2057 0750. You can also call in to one of our Advice Hubs or other advice agency in Cardiff. 


Harassment and intimidation


If you rent your property from the council or a housing association and are experiencing harassment or intimidation you should report the incident to your Housing Officer who can advise you of the steps you can take.


If you own your own home or rent from a private landlord you may need to involve your landlord, the Housing Options Service or another advice agency. You should contact the police if you feel that the intimidation or harassment could result in harm to you or anyone else.