Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

How to report suspected adult abuse

Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014​Find out how social services in Wales are transforming​.

If you are being abused or think someone else is being abused, you must tell someone.


If you believe someone is immediate danger and you need to do something straight away to stop them being hurt, you should ring 999 and tell the operator what is happening.


If you think a crime might have taken place, report it to the Police by calling 101 and be careful not to remove or destroy any evidence.


If you are in a care home, health centre, hospital, school or a similar place, you should go to see the person in charge.


If you live in your own home or your family home and have people visiting to help you, contact the protection of vulnerable adults (POVA) team:


029 2233 0888 


Monday - Thursday           8.30am - 5pm
Friday                                8.30am - 4.30pm

If it is outside of those hours please call the out-of-hours emergency duty team on 029 2078 8570


Whatever you tell us will be treated with sensitivity, but we may have to tell other people if we need their help to protect you or the person being abused.


If you feel nervous about talking to social services, talk to someone else you feel comfortable with and ask them to pass on the information. This could be someone who works in the health service such as a doctor or nurse, or someone else in authority. You could also tell a friend or relative you trust.


For independent advice visit Action on Elder Abuse (AEA)


Useful documents:


What you need to know if an allegation has been made against you

POVA - information for staff