Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Discounts for people who are not counted

​​​The Council Tax bill for a property where one of two residents is not counted will be the same as that for a property with only one resident. That is, you will get a 25% discount.

If someone who is not counted lives alone, or only with others who are not counted, a 50% discount applies.

Exemptions may apply in a property which is solely occupied by students, care leavers or mentally impaired persons.

People in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults living at a property:

  • full time students
  • student nurses
  • apprentices and youth training trainees (apprentices must earn under £195 per week)
  • patients in hospital
  • patients in care homes
  • people who are severely mentally impaired​ 
  • people who are staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are still at school or have just left school
  • care-workers working for low pay (usually for charities)
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a husband or wife, partner or child under 18
  • members of religious communities (e.g. monks and nuns)
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • people aged over 18 and entitled to child benefit
  • members and dependants of visiting forces
  • non British husband or wife of a student
  • diplomats
  • care leave​rs ​

Exempt properties

A property might be exempt from Council Tax if it is:

  • needing, having or has had structural repair work. The property must also be substantially unfurnished (exempt for up to 12 months)
  • unoccupied and owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • unoccupied and substantially unfurnished (exempt for up to six months)
  • left unoccupied by person(s) detained in prison
  • left unoccupied by person(s) permanently in hospital, nursing or care home
  • unoccupied through death of resident(s) (exempt for up to 6 months after probate/letters of administration). NB this exemption only applies where the property has been vacant since the date of death.
  • occupation prohibited by law
  • unoccupied and held for a minister of religion
  • left unoccupied by person(s) receiving care in another place (other than a hospital, nursing or care home)
  • left unoccupied by person(s) residing and providing care elsewhere
  • Unoccupied and owned by a student and when it was last occupied it was the residence of that student and no-one else other than students lived there.
  • repossessed and unoccupied property​
  • halls of residence predominantly for student accommodation
  • occupied solely by student(s). This also includes a student's husband, wife or dependant who is not a British Citizen and is prevented from working or claiming benefit
  • owned by Secretary of State for Defence
  • occupied by members of visiting forces
  • unoccupied and held by trustee in bankruptcy
  • unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring
  • occupied solely by person(s) under 18
  • unoccupied annexe
  • occupied solely by person(s) who is (are) severely mentally impaired
  • properties occupied by certain diplomats
  • annex or self-contained part of property occupied by an elderly or disabled relative of the resident living in the rest of the property.
  • properties occupied solely by care leavers 

Care leavers

A care leaver may be exempt from having to pay if they live on their own or solely with other care leavers or students.

If they live with other adults then they may be eligible for a 25% disregard reduction.

A care leaver is aged 24 or under and is a category 3 young person as defined by section 104 of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014.

Please contact us for further information​.​