Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Student exemptions

​​If you are a student you may be exempt from paying Council Tax.
To count as a full-time student, your course must:
  • last at least 1 calendar or academic year
  • require you to undertake it for at least 24 weeks a year
  • involve at least 21 hours' study, tuition or work experience per week.
If you study for a qualification up to A level and you are under 20, your course must:
  • last at least 3 months
  • involve at least 12 hours' study per week
To make sure you are not made liable for payment, check if your landlord has completed a student exemption review form. If they have, you do not need to do anything.

If not, you need to get a Council Tax certificate from the Registrar at your university or college and send it to us by email or post.​​ 
Cardiff Council
Council Tax Section
PO Box 9000
CF10 3WD
Please remember to include details of your council tax account number (if applicable), and your name and address in Cardiff.

Husband or wife and dependants of students

The husband or wife and dependants of an international student should also be treated as if they are full-time students provided they are:
  • not a British citizen, and
  • prevented by immigration regulations from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits whilst living in the UK.
If you are a husband or wife of a student you will need to provide a copy of your passport or visa.


© 2022 Cardiff Council