Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Help with your rent

​​If you are working age, on a low income and need help with your rental costs, you will probably need to submit a claim for Universal Credit with the DWP. 

You can still claim Housing Benefit if you are a pensioner, or if you are living in supported accommodation. 

In exceptional circumstances those in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit may qualify for additional help with their rent by applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Where to go for help and advice

If you need advice on claiming help with your rent you can contact us in the following ways:

Housing Benefit

Find out if you are entitled to housing benefit, and apply online.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you need extra help to cover your housing costs, you may be able to claim Discretionary Housing Payments

© 2022 Cardiff Council