Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF)

​​​​​​Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans have been replaced by a national scheme set out by the Welsh Government.  


Budgeting loans are still administered by the Department of Work and Pensions.  Find out more about budgeting loans on the central government website​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window .


You can apply for help from the Discretionary Assistance Fund if you are not able to pay for what you need.  Help is given by money or vouchers for goods or services.


Two types of payments are available:

Individual Assistance Payment 

Individual Assistance Payments are to help vulnerable people live independently.  The payment can be used to help buy goods or services, for example a cooker, fridge or bed. 


The level of support offered will depend on your needs and current circumstances including whether you have any savings or access to other money.  You can apply for help for yourself, your family, or someone you care for or intend to care for.


To be eligible you, or the person you care for, must be receiving one of the following:


  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credits


You or the person you care for must also be:


  • leaving an institution such as a hospital, care home, hostel or prison within the next six weeks after living there for at least three months;
  • intending to care for someone leaving such accommodation;
  • needing help as part of a planned resettlement, after a period of homelessness or leaving supported accommodation;
  • needing help to ease exceptional pressures;
  • needing help with a one-off essential or travelling expense.


You cannot normally apply for more than one Individual Assistance Payment within 4 weeks unless your circumstances have changed.


Apply for an Individual Assistance PaymentExternal link opens in a new window


Emergency Assistance Payment 

An Emergency Assistance Payment is to help you following an emergency or disaster, for example if there is a fire or flood in your home.  The payment can be used to replace essential items that have been stolen, damaged or destroyed.


To get help, you must be:


  • Aged 16 or over
  • Without money to meet your or your family’s needs following an emergency or disaster.
  • Facing serious risk to your or your family’s health and safety.
  • Without any other means of getting the help you need.


Apply for an Emergency Assistance PaymentExternal link opens in a new window


Wherever possible goods and services will be provided. Where cash is the only option, payment will be made via a PayPoint outletExternal link opens in a new window. Any help given will not have to be repaid.


Find out more about the Discretionary Assistance Fund​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window.


Alternative Help Available

Cardiff Foodbank provides emergency food aid to individuals and families in short term crisis situations.  More information can be found at link opens in a new window

Fare Share Cymru helps people struggling to feed themselves and their family.  More information can be found at link opens in a new window

Food co-ops​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window sell affordable fruit, vegetable and seasonal salad bags on a weekly basis. This scheme is run by local volunteers.  Bags cost £2.50 - £3 each.  

© 2022 Cardiff Council