Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Help with your bills

​There are a number of different schemes and grants available to help you with your bills.

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding

The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS AF) provides £400 to help with energy bills for households that do not have a domestic energy meter or do not pay bills directly to an energy supplier. 

The support is provided by UK Government and is delivered by local authorities. 

The scheme is now open to all eligible households until 31 May 2023.


You may be eligible to apply if your main home is:

  • a residential park home such as a mobile home or static caravan
  • on a boat on a permanent residential mooring
  • on a permanent Gypsy and Traveller site
  • part of a heat network without an electricity meter
  • in social or private rented accommodation which has a business energy connection or a communal electricity supply
  • off the mains electricity or gas grid
  • in a care home or assisted living facility and you pay for some or all of your care (directly or through loss of pension or other benefits)
  • in a separate domestic home within a non-domestic property (such as a farmhouse or a flat above a shop)​

Further information can be found on the GOV.UK website.

How to apply

If you are eligible, you will need to complete the application form on the GOV.UK website​.

If you cannot apply online, you can apply by calling 08081 753 287.  

Your application will be processed by UK Government, not the Council. 

If your application is successful, your details will be shared with the Council who will make the payment. The payment will be made directly into your bank account in a single instalment.​

​​Energy trusts

If you need helpThere are a number of different schemes and grants available to help you with your energy bills. with your bills, you can check if your energy supplier has a trust.

An energy trust can help you with:

  • gas, energy and other household debts, including council tax and rent arrears, 
  • basic household items, including washing machines and cookers.
  • other financial assistance, including bankruptcy, deposits and funeral expenses.
Visit the website of your energy supplier to apply online if they have a trust. 

If it does not have one, you can apply to the British Gas Energy Trust​ ​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window

Contact your provider or the Money Advice team on 029 2087 1071, or visit your local hub​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window for more information

ECO Affordable Warmth 

The ECO Affordable Warmth scheme helps you with home improvements to make it more energy efficient.

There are grants available for:

  • central heating,
  • gas boilers, and
  • home insulation.

You may be eligible if you:

  • receive specific benefits, and
  • live in a privately owned or rented home.


NEST offers advice and financial support to make your home more energy efficient and help reduce your energy bills.

You can apply whether you own your home or rent from a private landlord.

Fuel vouchers 

You may be eligible for fuel vouchers if you are struggling to put credit on your pre-payment energy meter.

Contact the Money Advice team on 029 2087 1071 or visit your local hub​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window to learn more.

Warm homes discount

You may be eligible for a Warm Home discount on your energy bill if you:

  • receive means-tested benefits or disability benefit,
  • have children, or
  • have a medical condition.

Funds are limited so apply as soon as the scheme opens, usually from the end of the summer.

Contact the Money Advice team on 029 2087 1071 or visit your local hub​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window to learn more.

National Energy Action (NEA)

NEA is the national fuel poverty charity and provides support for energy-related issues, including:

  • switching suppliers, 
  • helping with fuel debt, 
  • applying for trust funds, 
  • energy efficiency,
  • and water rates.

Contact them on 0800 304 7159 or visit​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window for more information.

E.ON Next Fund 

E.ON Next Energy Fund helps E.ON Next customers experiencing financial hardship to become financially stable and take back control of their finances. 

You can have support to:

  • pay your gas and electricity bills through grants, and
  • replace appliances which are broken or in poor condition, including cookers, fridges, and washing machines.

Boiler upgrade scheme 

The UK government is providing grants to help homeowners install low carbon heating systems, including heat pumps. 

You may be eligible if you live in Wales or England, and own your home.

Visit​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window for details, and to check if you are eligible.

Welsh Water

If you are finding it difficult to pay your water bills, there may be some schemes available to you, including:

  • WaterSure, 
  • HelpU tariff, and
  • the Customer Assistance Fund.

© 2022 Cardiff Council