Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Pet and animal welfare in an emergency

If you own an animal you are responsible for its welfare whether you own a small holding or you have a dog or cat as a member of your family.
Plan to keep your pet safe in an emergency. Consider the following:
  • Arrange a pet evacuation buddy, a friend who would look after your pet if you had to evacuate your home. This could be a dog walking friend or a fellow cat lover or if you have a more exotic pet someone able and willing to look after it.
  • Copy your pet inoculation card and keep your vet details with it in case you have to arrange kennelling for a pet.
  • If you can, take any essential pet medication with you as you evacuate, but if your safety is at risk follow the emergency service advice.
  • If you must leave your pet in the property consider giving them free access within the property but away from potential danger and make sure they have food and water for 3 days.
  • A Cardiff Council evacuation centre may allow an owner to bring their Dog or cat to a specific pet area within an evacuation centre but the owner is responsible for the welfare of the animal and ensuring the pet is kept safe and ensure and not a risk to other people and animals. No exotic / dangerous animals would be allowed in a Cardiff Council Evacuation centre.
  • Never leave an animal in a car even if windows are open as cars can become dangerously hot in minutes, this is not just a risk in the summer!

More advice on animal welfare is available on the RSPCA website or if an animal is in distress the RSPCA can be called on: 

0300 1234 999

© 2022 Cardiff Council