Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Temporary Traffic Regulation Order

You will need to apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) if you need to temporarily stop or limit vehicular and / or pedestrian traffic along the highway.

Where are TTROs used?

TTROs can be applied to roads, footways or Public Rights of Way (PRoWs). We can make a TTRO:

  • ​to cover a planned situation, or an Urgent Notice if a restriction is needed immediately for an unplanned situation.
  • to allow essential works to be carried out on the highway such as installation of, or maintenance works to, services for example gas, electricity or water.
  • for works next to the highway such as large developments.

Common types of TTROs:

  • Road closures
  • Waiting restriction
  • Weight restrictions
  • Parking and Bus Lane Suspensions

They can also take the form of a:

  • Banned turn
  • One-way restriction
  • Speed limit or
  • Prohibition of entry

How to apply?

You can apply online for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order​​​​. You will need to register first and then select the link for ‘Temporary Traffic Orders' from the dropdown list.

How much will it cost?

Type of TTRO
Emergency notice
​18 month order
​Community event (less than 500 people attending)
​Large event (more than 500 people attending)

What happens next?

We will need to assess your application to ensure all the required details are complete. When your request is approved and the TTRO process is completed you will receive email confirmation with the documents and cover letter. You can log in to view the status of your TTRO request​​​​​​​​ at any stage.
© 2022 Cardiff Council