Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Minor works

​​Before you carry out any works in, on or above the public highway you need to obtain a licence from us.

The licence is commonly referred to as a 'Section 50' and is issued under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

This licence allows apparatus to be installed in, on or above the highway and can only be carried out with the approval of us as the Highway Authority.

How to apply?

You can apply for a Section 50 online​​​​​​​. You will need to register first and then select the link for ‘Section 50” from the dropdown list.  

You must make sure that you have the following and this must be submitted when applying for approval:

  • Proof of Public Liability Insurance - This must provide a minimum of £10 million cover
  • Proof of Street Works Accreditation - Copy of both sides of Supervisor and Operatives Street Works Qualifications Register cards.


How much will it cost?

It will cost £792.50 per 100m.​ Payment must be made by Debit or Credit card before the application can be processed. ​

What happens next?

We will assess your request to ensure all the required details are complete. When your request is approved and the Section 50 process is completed you will receive email confirmation with the documents and cover letter. You can log in to view the status of your Section 50 request​​​​​ at any stage. 

© 2022 Cardiff Council