Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council


​Permissions to use the Public Highway for Hoarding / Heras Fencing are granted by the issue of licences/permits by the Council as the Highway Authority under the Highways Act 1980. 

​Items placed on the highway without a valid permit are an illegal obstruction and the Council can take enforcement action in such cases. 


Penalty for non-observance 

Enforcement measures will result in a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 plus the appropriate licence fee. In circumstances where businesses fail to comply we may remove the hoarding / Heras fencing from the public highway. 

The Fixed Penalty Notices of up to £100 will also be enforced if the Terms and Conditions are not adhered to. 

The company director or the authorised officer is responsible for ensuring that all the Terms and Conditions are adhered to. 


How to apply 

Before applying we recommend reading the Terms and Conditions

You can apply for a Hoarding / Heras Fencing licence online​​​​​​. You may first need to create an account. ​

  • Hoarding / Heras Fencing Terms and Conditions (31kb PDF)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window​ 

Permits are one application per street. 


Opening Hours 

Monday - Thursday: 8.30am - 5pm 

Friday: 8.30am - 4pm 


How much will the Permit cost? 

Residential Permit per street: 

Single domestic dwelling 28 Day Permit at £110.30

Renewal £105 for further 28 days must be applied for 7 days in advance of expiry 


Commercial Permit per street: 

Non Domestic 28 Day Permit £341.40

Renewal £289 per 28 days, must be applied for 7 days in advance of expiry​

What happens next? 

Once an application is received it will be assessed by our Highway Officers and a site visit will be arranged if required. At the site visit the highway inspector may agree additional / amended conditions, these will be confirmed in writing upon approval. 

If the application is approved a finance officer will contact you for payment by Debit/Credit card. 

If the application is unsuccessful, Cardiff Council will contact you with the reasons for the refusal to grant permission in this instance.