Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council


​​​​Permissions to use the Public Highway for Containers, Welfare Units and Portable Toilets are granted by the issue of licences/permits by the Council as the Highway Authority under the Highways Act 1980.
Items placed on the highway without a valid permit are an illegal obstruction and the Council can take enforcement action in such cases.

Applicant checklist

A Copy of the following items must be attached with this application otherwise the application will not be processed

  1. A copy of your company’s Public Liability Insurance Certificate (£5,000,000)
  2. A copy of your Lifting Operation Method Statement
  3. A Traffic Management Plan- This proposal must include a drawing of all relevant signage, clearly and safely directing traffic and pedestrians around the operation. It must also include any proposed diversion route if applicable.
  4. Any relevant site plans or diagrams and a drawing of the position and extent of the travel of the jib over the highway.
  5. Confirmation of Road closures/Parking bay suspensions/Bus Bay suspensions (if applicable)
  6. Copies of Current Qualifications or Certificates of Crane Operators, Riggers and other personnel involved with the proposed Lifting Operation.

​Please note: Your application will be rejected if incorrect or incomplete paperwork is submitted.

Penalty for non-observance

Enforcement measures will result in a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 plus the appropriate licence fee. In circumstances where businesses fail to comply we may remove the Containers, Welfare Units and Portable Toilets from the public highway. 

The Fixed Penalty Notices of up to £100 will also be enforced if the Terms and Conditions are not adhered to.

The company director or the authorised officer is responsible for ensuring that all the Terms and Conditions are adhered to.

How to apply

Before applying we recommend reading the Terms and Conditions.

You can apply for a Containers, Welfare Units and Portable Toilet licence online​​​​​​​​​​​​D​olen allanol yn agor mewn ffenest newydd. You may first need to create an account. ​

Permits and fees are per individual unit on the Highway, however multiple units can all be processed on one application form.  

Opening Hours

Monday - Thursday: 8.30am - 5pm
Friday: 8.30am - 4pm

How much will the Permit cost?

Residential Permit per Unit:
Single domestic dwelling 28 Day Permit at £105                                            
Renewal £105 for further 28 days must be applied for 7 days in advance of expiry​

Commercial Permit per Unit:
Non Domestic 28 Day Permit £263                                                                                                  
Renewal £105 per 28 days, must be applied for 7 days in advance of expiry

What happens next?

Once an application is received it will be assessed by our Highway Officers and a site visit will be arranged if required.  At the site visit the highway inspector may agree additional / amended conditions, these will be confirmed in writing upon approval.  

Once the application is received it will be processed and you will be contacted to take payment by Debit / Credit card.

Payment in full is required before a licence/permit can be issued.

If the application is unsuccessful, Cardiff Council will contact you with the reasons for the refusal to grant permission in this instance. 
​​​ ​​