Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Vehicle crossovers

​​​Under the Highways Act 1980, anyone wishing to drive across the footway to park on their property must have an authorised vehicle crossover constructed.

What is a vehicle crossover?

Vehicle crossovers are where kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it to avoid damage to the pavement, pipes or cables buried beneath it.

You must apply to the Council for permission for a vehicle crossover to be constructed.

If you already have a vehicle crossover for your property, but need to extend it, you will still need to apply for permission in the same way.

Once your vehicle crossover application has been approved you are responsible for ensuring that the chosen contractor completes a Road Opening notice (Section 50)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window​​​​​​​ before any work starts and that all work carried out is guaranteed for 2 years from completion.

You must make sure that your chosen contractor has the following and this must be submitted when applying for approval:

  • ​Proof of Public Liability Insurance: This must provide a minimum of £10 million cover
  • Proof of Street Works Accreditation: (Copy of both sides of Supervisor and Operatives Street Works Qualifications Register cards).

How to apply

You can apply for a Vehicle Crossover online​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window. You will need to register first and then select the link for ‘Crossovers” from the dropdown list.  

Terms and Conditions (102kb PDF)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window​​​

You can view the Classified roads in Cardiff on the map below.

Trunk Road
A Road
B Road
Classified unnumbered


Search for your address on My Maps​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window to see if your road is a Classified Route.

How much will it cost?

A fee of £189.10 per vehicle crossover, which is non-refundable. Payment must be made by Debit or Credit card before the application can be processed.

​Once your vehicle crossover application is approved you will also have to pay a fee of £131.30​ for the Section 50 road opening.

What happens next?

We will need to assess your request to ensure all the required details are complete. When your request is approved and the Vehicle Crossover process is completed, you will receive an email with the documents and cover letter. You can log in to view the status of your Vehicle Crossover request​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new windowat any time.