Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

A Board Permits

​​​​​ ​Advertising signs placed on the highway are generally known as A Boards. If the area where an A board is to be placed is part of the highway, then under the Highways Act 1980 you are required to apply to the Council for a permit. 
A Board Policy (1507kb PDF)​​​​​

How do I apply?

You can apply for an A board permit onlineYou may first need to create an account.

An application for a new permit costs £252.45. If you are renewing an already existing permit then this is reduced to £186.08.​

You must read the terms and conditions before applying. 

What happens next?

When your application is made it will first need to be assessed by a Council officer to ensure its eligibility. You will receive email confirmation as to whether it has been successful once your application has been reviewed.

You will not be able to place your A board on the highway until you have received your permit, even if you have an application pending.


If you do not adhere to the terms and conditions you may be liable to prosecution.

In some circumstances where businesses fail to comply with the terms and conditions, or where the A Board represents a hazard to the public, a Council officer may remove it from the highway. It will then be stored for 14 days at a cost to the owner or it will be destroyed.

Contact us


© 2022 Cardiff Council