Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Personal licence

​​You are not required to hold a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol but a premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a Designated Premises Supervisor, who must hold a Personal Licence.

In order to apply for a Personal Licence, you must be aged 18 years or over, and hold a relevant licensing qualification. 
You must obtain an accredited qualification before applying for a licence.

The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol. 

View a full list of accredited personal licence qualification providers​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window

View the application form for a personal licence to sell alcohol​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window
View the disclosure of convictions and declaration form​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window

The fee for a Personal Licence is £37.

You will also need to provide a Basic Disclosure from the DBS​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window
The disclosure must be dated within one month at the time of application.

How to apply 

​​​​​​​​The relevant forms and further information can be found here:

Please complete the relevant form(s) and return to us (by post or in person):


Cardiff Council
City Hall
CF10 3ND


Opening Hours

Monday - Friday: 10:00am - 3:00pm

The fee for a personal licence is £37.


The fee for a change of address update or replacement licence is £10.50.

Alcohol and entertainment licence fees and charges (49kb PDF)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Link opens in a new window​.

We accept the following methods of payment:

Debit card (by phone only - 029 20871651)
Cheque (made payable to ‘Cardiff Council’)

You can also pay via BACS:

​Sort code: 52-21-06
Account number: 20408838​
Address: Natwest, 96 Queen Street, Cardiff, CF10 2GR

Please inform us of the reference number and date of payment if you are paying by BACS so that we can locate the payment.

If you have no convictions, are suitably trained and are over 18 there is no reason why you should not qualify for a personal licence.

The police have 14 days to object to an application. If the police do not object and the application meets the full criteria the license will be granted.

Once a licence has been issued, you must notify the Authority of any change to your address. It is an offence under the Licensing Act 2003 not to do so. 

If you would like any help or advice please contact us


Contact us


029 2087 1651

© 2022 Cardiff Council